Sunday, November 13, 2011

Making Valentines without RED!


I have no true red cardstock! I realized this about a month ago making Christmas cards for Operation Write Home. I have a tight budget and I had spent money to make cards already and was determined to use what I had bought. It worked. My Christmas cards were blue and green.

Luckily I do have maroons and pink. I have some DP that is reddish. Here is a love/valentine in blue that follows the sketch at Operation Write Home Stars and Stamp blog challenge. I also just realized I am not using a lot of hearts on my love cards. I had heard my shipper Dixie does not like hearts-Dixie has retired as shipper (I have not gotten to know her as I am new). I wonder if I subconsiously was not using hearts for this reason because I love hearts.

The above blue card was made following the sketch closely. The bow in the sketch scared me. I think I don't like bows after working as a florist and seeing so many. The blue card stock is Bazzill. The patterned paper is ColorBok from the Rosewood pack. The yellow fiber is one I have had for years. I buy these in the yarn section. I think they triple the price when they put items in the scrapbook section. The brads are from Oriental Trading. The sentiment was in my pile of printed sentiments I for some reason don't like the white sentiment on my cards. So I ink them. All the edges are distressed in blue even the cardstock. This card wanted to be made it threw itself together. A blue valentine. I am not using Valentine sayings so they have more time to be used.


This card is based on the sketch as well. I had made cards with this saying. They were not vintage and I LOVE vintage. I think the sentiment works with this layout. Again I did not like the white. I am not completely happy with this even inked. Off white Cardstock is my next priority even over red to use for sentiments. I love how the flower on the Colorbok Rosewood DP works for this card. I used another piece for the Wednesday challenge from the same 12x12 sheet and wondered if I could use this piece. The maroon cardstock is Bazzill. The lace and red bling work for the vintage effect.


Hope everyone has a wonderful week.



9 comments:

  1. Both of these cards are so very nice. It's great to see a non traditional card for Valentines. Who needs hearts anyway? Great paper on your first card and the fiber is perfect. Wonderful idea on your second card using the sentiment as your focal piece. Love that background paper also. Two very nice cards that someone will be very happy to receive.
    PS When we start making some headway on the restoration of these gas pumps I will probably start a blog or at least post them here on my card blog so you can see them. It's nice to know someone else appreciates them besides us. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You not only ONE two two cards and they are both so nice. I really enjoyed this week's sketch and had fun creating a Valentine card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of your cards are really awesome. I think the first card would be perfect to send to a guy, so I am sure your shipper will be super pleased to be able to have something for men. I think the sentiment look just fine on your second card too. Sometimes my mind's eye has a fit when my card doesn't look exactly the way I imagine it. (I have used Ranger distress ink in Antique Linen to distress over white cardstock to give it a more beige-type tone for situations like this. But, really, I like the white on your card.) Thanks for sharing your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hats off for using what you have! Love the first card cause of the colors! TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards! I too like the non traditional colors for Valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly,I love how your cards turned out using the sketch! The fiber is such a nice look. They are both really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this card - it is beautifully especially the jute ribbon - I love that it makes the point not all ribbon and bows have to be satin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great cards! I love the fibers for the bow! Thanks for joining us in this week's OWH Stars & Stamps Sketch Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the colors in your first card. It's a great masculine card! The lace bow on your second card is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I really love to receive comments. They mean so much!

Followers

Search This Blog